Contact Me

I'm currently accepting books for review. Please have a look at the review policy before writing to me. If you are a publisher or author, please email me at obsessionsofabookaholic@hotmail.com

Upcoming Review

Upcoming Review
Precious Stone trilogy by Kerstin Gier

Rating System

1 Star: I did not enjoy it.
2 Stars: I had trouble getting through it.
3 Stars: Overall quite good, but with a few flaws.
4 Stars: I really enjoyed it.
5 Stars: I loved it and would definitely read it again!

Blog Archive

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge

Amy has not entered the 2015 Reading Challenge.

2015 Release Countdowns



Saturday 18 June 2011

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead


Title: Vampire Academy
Author: Richelle Mead
Pages: 332
Publication Date: Aug. 16th, 2007
 
Back Cover:  Lissa Dragomir is a Moroi princess: a mortal vampire with a rare gift for harnessing the earth's magic. She must be protected at all times from Stigoi; the fiercest vampires- the ones who never die. The powerful blend of human and vampire blood that flows through Rose Hathaway, Lissa's best friend, makes her a Dhampir. Rose is dedicated to a dangerous life of protecting Lissa from the Strigoi, who are hell-bent on making Lissa one of them.

After two years of freedom, Rose and Lissa are caught and dragged back to St. Vladamir's Academy, a school for vampire royalty and their guardians-to-be, hidden in the deepest forests of Montana. But inside the iron gates, life is even more fraught with danger... and the Strigoi are always close by.

Rose and Lissa must navigate their dangerous world, confront the temptations of forbidden love, and never once let their guard down, lest the evil undead make Lissa one of them forever...

First Lines: I felt her before I heard her screams. Her nightmare pulsed into me, shaking me out of my own dream, which had something to do with a beach and some hot guy rubbing suntan oil on me.

My Thoughts: Richelle Mead has created the perfect story, combining teenage drama with vampires. The plot is original and well thought out. The twists are unpredictable, and the ending is something that I didn't think was even possible because you are wrapped in all of the drama of the story, and then it just hits you, and you're like, "Why didn't I think of that, it makes total sense!"

The characters are so realistic- except for the vampire part- and easy to relate to, that you feel like you know them. Whilst some character's leave you dreaming about them, other's are so rational and understanding, it's like getting therapy from the book itself. The forbidden love in the book is absolutely unique, and is an important aspect of the book; it just ties the whole plot together.

One section in this book left me in tears. The way that gossip and rumours spread like wildfire, is worse than a plague during and epidemic. It really shows that all of the emotional damage that you can cause a person by telling stories about them is worse than harming them physically.

With a great plot, awesome characters, unimaginable twists, comedy and forbidden love, this story is sure to leave you reading into the night, not putting the book down at all.
 
Rating:  4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment :)