Contact Me

I'm currently accepting books for review. Please have a look at the review policy before writing to me. If you are a publisher or author, please email me at obsessionsofabookaholic@hotmail.com

Upcoming Review

Upcoming Review
Precious Stone trilogy by Kerstin Gier

Rating System

1 Star: I did not enjoy it.
2 Stars: I had trouble getting through it.
3 Stars: Overall quite good, but with a few flaws.
4 Stars: I really enjoyed it.
5 Stars: I loved it and would definitely read it again!

Blog Archive

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge

Amy has not entered the 2015 Reading Challenge.

2015 Release Countdowns



Tuesday 26 July 2011

Beautiful Malice by Rebecca James

Title: Beautiful Malice
Author: Rebecca James
Pages: 291
Publication Date: Jul. 13th, 2010
 
Back Cover: Truth or dare?' she asks. I hesitate. I have so many secrets, so many things I don't want to reveal, but this is only a game, only a bit of fun. 'Truth,' I say finally. 'I can imagine one of your dares, and I don't fancy running down Oxford Street naked tonight.' 'Truth,' Alice says slowly, drawing out the vowel sound as if she's savouring the word. 'Are you sure? Are you sure you can be completely honest? 'I think so. Try me.' 'Okay.' And then she looks at me curiously. 'So. Were you glad, deep down? Were you glad to be rid of her? Your perfect sister? Were you secretly glad when she was killed?' Katherine has moved away from her shattered once-perfect family to start a new life in Sydney. There she keeps her head down until she is befriended by the charismatic Alice, and her life takes her in new directions. But there is a dark side to Alice, and as we learn the truth of Katherine's sister's death and Alice's background, their story spirals to an explosive finale.
 
First Lines: I didn't go to Alice's funeral. I was pregnant at the time, crazy and wild with grief. But it wasn't Alice I grieved for.
 
My Thoughts: Beautiful Malice is an emotional, dark and surprising book. It is the ultimate story  about friendship and betrayal, and each character's decisions and behaviour has the ability to harm their friends and their families.

The main character, Katherine Patterson, is still moving on from her sister's death in all ways- including changing her last name and moving to a different town. She tries to stay out of the popular, partying kids at school, but eventually, she gets dragged into the middle of it. With her new friend Alice, Katherine feels as though she is finally able to move on, but what if that friendship isn't all it seems to be?

When Alice's dark side starts to show, Katherine has to rely on some other friends that she has discovered, party because of Alice. They warn her to stay away from Alice. But will she listen to the friends she found because of Alice misbehaving, or will she listen to the centre of it all; the crazy, outgoing, party-girl Alice, the person who everyone wants to be?

Rebecca James has created a sensational book about loyalty and trust. Each character's emotions are described so clearly that they each feel so realistic. With the twist that is so unpredictable, especially in the beginning of the book, the drama  and plot is actually quite disturbing. When you imagine people that can do such cruel things, you think of them as evil- but who can describe what evil really is?

I highly recommend this book if you love stories about friendship and betrayal. This well constructed story is dark, depressing, and beautiful. Rebecca James has written Beautiful Malice, an intense and suspenseful psychological thriller, and now you have to go and read it!


Rating: 5/5
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment :)