Contact Me

I'm currently accepting books for review. Please have a look at the review policy before writing to me. If you are a publisher or author, please email me at obsessionsofabookaholic@hotmail.com

Upcoming Review

Upcoming Review
Precious Stone trilogy by Kerstin Gier

Rating System

1 Star: I did not enjoy it.
2 Stars: I had trouble getting through it.
3 Stars: Overall quite good, but with a few flaws.
4 Stars: I really enjoyed it.
5 Stars: I loved it and would definitely read it again!

Blog Archive

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge

Amy has not entered the 2015 Reading Challenge.

2015 Release Countdowns



Sunday 18 December 2011

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)
Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Pages: 452
Publication Date: Sept. 27th, 2011
 
Back Cover:  Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there. It can. She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed. There is. She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love. She's wrong.
 
First Lines: The ornate script on the board twisted in the candlelight, making the letters and numbers dance in my head.
 
My Thoughts: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is like a book that is bipolar. Even though that isn't technically possible, the emotions in the book can change so quickly. One minute, the book was full of comedy and romance, which made me uncontrollably laugh and smile. But then there were these chapters of gloom and mystery which had me genuinely frightened. 

I must admit, there were moments of confusion in this book where I didn't fully understand what was going on, so I think I will have to re-read it to try and make sense of those parts. What intrigued me to read this book wasn't even the storyline, but the buzz it had created amongst bloggers and reviewers. I didn't actually read the blurb until I was in the bookstore buying it.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is a captivating story about a girl trying not only to get away from her past, but trying to figure out what happened in it. It is full of twists which I didn't guess and I was so shocked at the end of the book, and then I thought, 'Oh, that all makes perfect sense, I can't believe I didn't think about that!'

Another thing I loved about this book was that Mara wasn't a raving, unthinking lunatic like Bella from Twilight, and that the love story did not involve werewolves, vampires, fairies or other mythological creatures... I think (you'll have to read the book to find out what the 'I think' part means). Also, the emotions in this book were genuinely real and was how someone would react to those specific situations in real life.

I can certainly see why this book has created such a buzz and I definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys young adult books. But, I suggest you read this book either with the lights on or in full daylight! I cannot wait to read the next novel in the series.

Rating: 4/5
 


Amy
 

2 comments:

  1. I was not expecting it to turn out the way it did,It had an awesome ending. One I applaud the writer for because that was like a soccer punch to the face, you did not see it coming but man it left an impact.I am very glad that I chose to read the book and it is on my to buy list now, as well as one I shall be recommending to one of every age.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment :)